Monday, June 14, 2010

Sometimes the Grass is Greener in Your Own Backyard

You know who they are. The handlers that you stop whatever you are doing to watch their runs. The handlers that other top handlers stop whatever they are doing to watch their runs.

It does not seem to matter what dog they are running. They seem to always get the best out of their dog on that day. As they used to say of Bear Bryant "He could take his and beat you with yours, and then trade and take yours and beat you with his". Or they are always the ones accused of "getting the good sheep."

At a trial I like to watch my friends runs for support. I like to watch the top handlers to learn - about the draws and sheep behavior for that day and about general handling for instruction.

I am fortunate that one of those handlers is my trainer, Jennifer Clark Ewers. She may not win every trial that she enters but she is sure to be one of the "dangerous" handler/dog teams. And you can do a lot worse than watch how Jennifer handles a dog. You can learn a lot just by watching. Having the benefit of working with Jennifer and discussing runs with her you can learn even more.

Sometimes we less gifted or experienced handlers have a tendency to chase clinics with the famous clinicians - Bobby Dalziel, Jack Knox, Derek Scrimgeour - just to name a few who have recently offered clinics in California. The tendency is to think the famous clinician will have some "magic" piece of advice that can fix our dogs over a weekend. A friend of mine compares it to the golfer who goes out to buy a new driver to fix his slice instead of putting the time in to work on fundamentals. I also think part of the motivation is to hear a famous clinician say good things about your dog. How many times have you heard a friend come back from a clinic and say (or post on a message board) "[insert famous name] really liked my dog".

I have been guilty of this at times and I confess it is nice to hear someone well known say nice things about your dog. But a few things I have noticed recently have made me realize that we are often guilty of not appreciating what we have.

Recently there was a thread on one of the boards asking about lessons being offered by a "big hat" in a different state. Multiple people were expressing how lucky the handler was to get a chance to work with a well known handler. It made me realize how lucky I am because I get to work with Jennifer almost every week - and I think most people would consider Jennifer a better handler than the person people were so "lucky" to get a chance to work with one time if they were being objective.

I also had some friends attend a clinic with a very famous handler from Britain recently held in Southern California. I have previously audited a clinic with this gentleman so I had an expectation of what they would come back with. No surprises. Most importantly - exactly the same advice I am getting on a weekly basis at Canines n Ewe. I guess sometimes people just need to hear it from a different source.

Following another clinic recently in Northern California with another famous British handler a friend posted that she had received an amazing simple tip for bringing in her wide running dog. In an email I asked about the tip. When it came back it was exactly what Jennifer already had me doing with Piper except that we were taking it a step or two farther and getting even better results. Again we were getting the same quality advice at home so to speak.

Finally I have a friend in Northern California who is a fairly new but talented handler. Her young dog - her first BC - is qualified for the nursery nationals. A few weeks ago she decided to come to Jennifer's to work on our regular Saturday group training session. After the day she commented that her dog had never worked so hard or been required to perform so well in her life.

So - since we often take what is nearby or available - it is time to say "Thank You Jennifer for all your help."

5 comments:

  1. Ha! You are right on every point, dear fellow. :-) After the stuff I mentioned learning from a certain trainer whose name starts with DS, I went over to Suzy Applegate - and got virtually the same critique. There are no miracle cures, there are just good teachers who can pinpoint out flaws and then help us overcome them, help us learn to get the best out of our dogs.

    I frankly envy you the chance to work with someone like Jennifer regularly, as I can only see Suzy about once a month and the rest ... I'm patching together. I've pretty much outgrown my local trainers and so I just hope I can keep a finger on the things I need to learn, and get those tuneups from Suzy to keep me from straying too far off the course I should travel.

    Kudos to you! I hope to see you again on a trial field ere long. :-)
    Cheers ~

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... "who can pinpoint OUR flaws." Wow, I need spell check at this time of night! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I am very fortunate to be able to work with Jennifer regularly. That was sort of the point of the post and sometimes we simply forget how fortunate we are.

    Hope to see you soon. From the sound of things you are progressing well -- except for that getting a flat tire leaving the driveway thing earlier today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and Gloria - try to make it to So Cal some weekend and work with Jennifer if you get a chance. But Suzy is also one of those handlers that people stop what they are doing to watch her runs. I know I always do when she is at the same trial.

    ReplyDelete