Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why Can't We Be Friends ?

The title of this post is from a 1970's era song by a band called War.

Used here it is a question to Rylee.

Rylee is a talented dog who is simply overly cautious for her own good. When working away from me she works very well and has a number of good attributes. Evidence of this is she scored a 30 at the recent Nursery Trial timing out on the FETCH. So she was almost perfect at the top (Judge gave her 1 pity point on the fetch).

We have seen her work in difficult situations and she does not seem intimidated by the sheep. She is cautious but not generally intimidated (except apparently by me).

What she does not like to do is bring the feet completely to my feet. Instead of getting better the problem actually has gotten worse over the last two months or so.

I have wondered about the reasons - did it have anything to do with her being in heat - probably not ? Have I been too harsh ?

Well - last Saturday we tried working on it in the lower field against a fence. Rylee was still avoiding coming in by mine so Jennifer came out to work her. Instant change. Rylee was far from perfect but she was showing some more enthusiasm. Half - and only half - jokingly - Jennifer suggested Rylee just doesn't like me.

As a handler this is certainly possible even though she sure likes to follow me around and cuddle off the field. We think some of it is she does not react well when I am harsh with Piper so I deliberately tried to tone down my tone of voice with Piper for the rest of the day. Also we deliberately worked Rylee first in rotation so she would not hear me interact with Piper.

It seemed to work as Rylee's fetches were with much greater pace than they had been recently. She even busted in on the sheep and made a mess a couple times. Joy to my eyes with Rylee. And - wonder of wonders - she made the turn around me and came right by my feet to start a drive. Closer than she has ever been willing to come to start a drive before.

So the plan for now is to work Rylee in situations that can give her success and for me to be as upbeat as I can with her. She is also getting extra attention and play time at home.

Rylee is a sensitive soul who needs to be properly wooed apparently. We need to apply the velvet glove to get her confidence and enthusiasm back up. I am certainly willing to accept some Rylee created messes on the field through enthusiasm. It will be much easier to clean those up than to have her shut down.

Rylee, why can't we be friends ?

No comments:

Post a Comment