Friday, September 9, 2011

The List

I keep a mental list.

It is a list of the handler and dog teams I would like to beat.

The List is not formal and there are as many ways to make the lists as their are people on the list.

Some names on the List make it because they are a good measuring stick, some because they are friends and fun to compete against, and some because they have done something over the years to p*** me off for one reason or the other. So for the most part, I won't reveal who is on the list, But here are some of the ways you can make the List:

1. Be a good friend (the friendly competition angle);
2. Be a mentor (wouldn't we all really like to be able to beat our mentors at least on rare occasions - the measuring stick (high end) approach;
3. Be someone I train regularly with (really these people pretty much all fall into category 1 and/or 2 already);
4. Be someone I consider a peer level (again with the measuring stick);
5. Patti Sowell - ok this one falls into categories 1 and 4 also - but Patti gets special mention because we have a standing $1 bet whenever we run at the same trial - it adds a little spice and fun;
5. Be someone with an overly inflated opinion of their (and/or their dog's) ability (this is one of the bad ways to make the list and a reason not to give names);
6. Be a jerk (the a**hole reason - see reason not to give names);
7. Alasdair MacRae - I have only met him a couple times and he has always been very nice to me and a true gentleman but really who in sheepdog trialing would not love to beat Alasdair and one his dogs just once (kind of like the weekend golfer beating Tiger Woods in his prime - you know it is not going to happen but you can dream - right - and if it ever does happen what a story, "there was this one trial, Alasdair was running Spot and I was running . . .") (OK - Alasdair is mainly there for an attempt at humor but I really would like to beat him if we are ever running at the same trial - just not likely)

1 comment:

  1. That's funny. I have never had a mental list. I compete with myself. :0) I always know when I have done well and when I have done poorly. I try to do a bit better with each trial.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete