Sunday, August 15, 2010

A debt that cannot be repaid

I have three border collies. In order of when I got them, Ramsay, Maggie and Piper. Not coincidentally that is also in ascending order of their herding skills. That is why this blog - which is devoted to our herding adventures - is mostly about my training and trialing with Piper.

But I owe a debt to all three dogs - and especially Ramsay and Maggie that can never be repaid. I purchased Ramsay out of an ad in the Orange County Register just before my birthday 6 years ago. At the time I knew almost nothing about Border Collies except I had seen them on TV in agility trials and they looked to be a fun breed. Little did I know at the time how that would change my life. By sheer coincidence Ramsay came into my life about 3 - 4 months before the beginning of some difficult times. Sometimes I wonder if I would have made it through emotionally without Ramsay. He may never have amounted to much as a herder but he got me into it, got me through some tough times, and is a total sweetheart around the house. But I can never repay Ramsay for the help getting through some very tough times.

Maggie joined us a little less than a year later. She had a very rough start to life being sold out of a pet shop and going through four or five homes in her first thirteen months. We were probably her last chance. Although she can still embody the definition of bitch she has come a long way and is now a sweet little girl. She got me further in herding and is probably the reason I am now addicted. But she never seemed to be able to master the concept of driving sheep away. She is mostly retired from herding now and while she enjoys an occasional outing she is perfectly happy being Princess Margaret. But, as with Ramsay, she got me through some tough times emotionally.

I can never fully repay either of them but I can give them a loving and caring home.

No comments:

Post a Comment