Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dog Days of Summer

Well we are in the midst of the Dog Days of Summer. It is HOT !!!! and it is at least two months until the next real trial (although we will sneak in a Fun Trial at Porterville in mid-September). Also - we lose our trainer for most of the month of September as Jennifer is headed to Soldier Hollow and then the Nationals.

So we are trying to make the most of our training opportunities in August andI will try to sneak in an extra day whenever the real work schedule permits. Unfortunately (or fortunately for finances)this is a pretty busy month at real work.

Yesterday Piper worked on pace driving drills and some outruns. The driving drills were pretty good and after initial enthusiasm she is starting to slow down and give me a bit of pace. We also did some flanking drills in the lower field and worked on getting her to give way with her shoulder on the first step. Only one or two step in type corrections and she was doing much bette on this. I think I will need to be very conscious of this working her on our own in September. I want to make sure that first shoulder give step becomes the norm.

On the outruns we worked in the opposite direction from normal and used lighter sheep than normal. Our first couple outruns were fairly short - 100 yards or so -- and we were really more concerned about slowing Piper down for the lift and getting some pace. My inexperience showed on the away outrun when Piper turned in at about 1 o'clock and came straight on towards the sheep holding the 1 0'clock face position. I wanted to move her over to 12 o'clock but resisted the temptation and the sheep came to my feet on a nice straight controlled line the whole way. Young Miss Piper had correctly read the pressure and put herself in the right position. All I did was regulate pace with a couple "times" and a "lie down" or two. My nerves showed when I asked Jennifer if I was right to let her hold the 1 o'clock position. The answer was yes. Translated - it could have been - yes - haven't I been telling you that.

When we backed up and made the outrun more difficult because the sheep were down in a difficult spot to see, the first time I sent Piper away she kicked in off the fence corner - if you know the field it is easy to understand how - and appeared headed for a crossover well in front of the sheep. Very rare for Piper and something to be avoided if at all possible. I gave her a sharp Lie Down and while her belly did not hit the ground she did stop. As soon as she stopped I gave her an away and she took off on the proper course. Considering how committed she was to crossing in front I was very happy. The next time as she reached the same spot I blew her away whistle before she had a chance to cut in and she bent out beautifully.

See we both can learn. We just need to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment