Friday, August 14, 2009

Slowing Down the Processor

In football quarterbacks often talk about the magical time when everything seems to slow down on the field. Obviously everything happens at the same speed but the mind is processing information more rapidly and efficiently resulting in less panic and the sensation that eerything has slowed down. For some QBs it never happens and they are never able to transition.

I noticed after our runs in Pauma Valley that I was experiencing a bit of the same sensation. While there were still nerves I did not have the sense of sheer panic while standing at the post. In retrospect the entire runs seemed to have gone a bit slower than previously and I was able to react more calmly and according to a plan. Not just panic handling anymore.

One friend who I have not seen at a dog trial for quite some time told me afterwards that I seemed much calmer handling and that it was having a beneficial effect on my dogs' runs.

It still needs to slow down mentally quite a bit but it felt much better to come off the field - even with runs that did not finish as well as hoped - feeling like I had handled the dogs appropriately and - while making mistakes - not just reacting with panic. I think it is a trend that will continue.

Here's to being able to press the "slow motion" button during future runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment